Trading since 1991.
From humble beginnings...
RDC was formed in 1991 starting life as a computer auction business, sourcing and selling second hand computer equipment to be sold at live auctions throughout southern England. Several years’ later product sales developed to encompass end of life IT disposal services helping private and public sector customers dispose of their used computer equipment.
RDC became a specialist end of life solution provider for used and unwanted IT assets, focusing on the secure deletion of data stored on used computer equipment and responsibly recycling unusable and obsolete items. The first batch of used IT equipment was processed by RDC in 1996.
Following collection from customer site the equipment was data wiped, electrically safety tested and functionally checked, former user markings were removed and passed equipment was cleaned before resale to the second user market. Obsolete items were recycled to extract ferrous and non-ferrous materials through a shredding and separation processes.
All equipment details including asset numbers were recorded to report back to the customer. Although some tasks remain the same today, our systems and processes have undergone significant change and complexity over the years as we have grown to become the World’s foremost IT Disposal and IT Recycling Company.
In 1999 RDC was acquired by Computacenter as their specialist IT recovery and remarketing division. Computacenter is Europe's leading independent provider of IT infrastructure services. Our best practice processes and procedures led to our first Queen’s Award for Enterprise win in 2002, for Innovation, for developing the IT asset management business model that has formed the basis for the company’s success.
Quality and service excellence is recognised through certification to international standards ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management System, ISO 27001:2005 Security Management System, OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health & Safety Management and PAS 99:2006 Integrated Management System.
In January 2012 RDC moved into new 350,000 square feet (35,000 m²) headquarters and operational centre in Braintree, Essex, believed to be the largest facility of its type in the World. This growth has largely been fuelled by our widening international network of customers for services and refurbished products.
We were awarded our third Queen’s Award for Enterprise 2012, this time for International Trade, adding to the awards for Innovation and Sustainable Development in 2002 and 2009 embracing comprehensive data security, wiping and electronic safety testing. During 2012 we developed and implemented a range of web solutions in multiple languages for businesses, consumers and employees, to return and purchase used equipment on-line, an example of which you can see at Money4computers.com.
Key dates in RDC History...
- 2015 Acquired by Arrow Electronics
- 2012 3rd January Moved into new UK operational facility
- 2011 Growth in product export sales / Acquisition of 350,000 sq. ft. (35,000m2) UK headquarters / £46m revenue
- 2010 Certificated to ISO 27001 Security Management / CIWM Winner for Environmental Excellence / Achieved Zero landfill for all waste / £38m revenue
- 2009 Granted Queen’s Award for Sustainable Development / Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher / CESG Claims Tested Mark for Secure Destruction / Microscope ACES Awards Environmental Company of the Year 2009 / £30m revenue
- 2008 Won major vendor contract / £25m revenue
- 2007 WEEE regulations came into force - RDC exceed requirements / UK Government WEEE Advisory Body set up with RDC contributing expertise
- 2006 Microsoft Approved Refurbisher / First UK social & private hybrid organisation formed with MillRace IT in Essex
- 2005 German operation commenced
- 2004 Certification to PAS 99 Integrated Management System / Waste Licence / £15m revenue
- 2003 HMG Approved Facility / Certified to ISO OHSAS 18001 Health & Safety / Royal Mail Gold Supplier Award
- 2002 Granted Queen’s Award for Innovation / Achieved zero landfill for IT waste
- 2001 Certified to ISO 14001 Environmental Management / Additional premises acquired for business growth
- 2000 Quality Management System assessed as compliant to ISO 9002
- 1999 Acquired by Computacenter
- 1998 Launched IT Asset Management Model
- 1995 Acquired operational facility and offices in Witham, Essex
- 1991 Company founded / IT auction business